Well, last night, I managed to get one ending done on Ar tonelico III, so I feel good about that. Although, the ending was kinda sad (even though it wasn’t the “Bad” Ending). Oh, and I managed to find a bug and fix it with Sylverant this morning. I’d say today’s off to a decent start, even if I didn’t sleep all that well last night.
Now, to see if I can get the problems with my work code fixed, then I’ll feel really good.
So, my spring break is over, and I’m back to the same-old same-old. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to finish playing Ar tonelico III over the break (not even the bad ending), so I guess I’m going to have to find time for that between classwork and work and such. Oh well…
So, I’ve been on Spring Break for the past few days, and I’ve been trying to make good use of it to catch up on some relaxation time (since I’ve been sorely missing that lately). However, its looking like I won’t finish my goal for the break, sadly… Oh well.
This is why I wish I wasn’t here today:
…that I didn’t have any classes today. If only that were the case, I’d still be at home right now. Instead, I’m here. Not at home. Not able to play the game that came in the mail yesterday…
So, its the 14th of March (or 3.14), so that makes it Pi Day. So, happy Pi Day to anyone that’s paying attention.
So, for the first time in a while, I decided to actually sit down and try to get some stuff done with KallistiOS. Chilly Willy had put out a patch to add color support to the biosfont stuff, and I set my mind to actually getting it enabled in the code. What I did end up doing was a bit more general than what he had sent, but it still gets the job done. Also, I fixed a few stupid things I did in the network stack related to ping packets, so now they act a lot more like one would expect on a normal network stack.
Not much, but at least something got done, right?
So, as I mentioned earlier, Ar tonelico III is due out in the US in a week (Gamestop has it pegged for a release on Tuesday, March 15th). Apparently, NISA’s online store has started getting the ball rolling a bit earlier, or something. My order was charged today at about 10:00 PM Eastern time. They normally don’t charge the orders until they’ve started packing up the orders, as far as I can tell.
Maybe they’re trying to get it to all of us that preordered on the day it comes out (regardless of how its being shipped)? I can hope, right? (Even though I won’t have any time to play it if I do get it earlier, due to class/work/etc).
Not that anyone probably cares, but in honor of Ar tonelico III’s release in the US, I’ll be listening to the soundtracks to the various Ar tonelico games all week. Just in case anyone notices any strange mood swings or strange looking code, maybe that can explain it?
Now, lets see if I can listen to just those soundtracks all week without getting bored of them.
Oh, and to anyone who hasn’t played the Ar tonelico games: If you’re looking for a quirky JRPG series, I’d definitely recommend them. They may not have the most up-to-date graphics, but the story is pretty good in the first two (I’ve been sheltering myself from spoilers in #3 for over a year now, despite having the Japanese release of it, so I can’t really comment on the third game’s story). Also, the music is very good for such a niche game. Just know before hand that the games are extremely quirky, and respect them for what they are, if you decide to play them.
So, for the past couple of days or so, I’ve been working on extending SonatinaTag to support mutable (writeable) tags. In this way, Sonatina would actually be able to write tags, and not just read them (one of the few features that I still turn to external tools for at this point). The problem with that is that its plain annoying.
ID3v1 and ID3v2 are relatively straightforward, as are the tags used in FLAC files, so that accounts for 3 of the 4 tagging formats SonatinaTag supports. All 3 of those are writeable in the current code of SonatinaTag (as of a few minutes before I’m writing this post). So, if the first three went so quickly, what is the problem, you might ask yourself?
Well… Simply put, m4a files have a really shitty tagging format. Its not so bad just for reading: everything’s hierarchical and fairly easy to read. The problem comes when writing new tags (especially to a file that has no tags to start with). This requires going through and adding all kinds of atoms to the file (I’m not going to explain all the gory details). And since the atoms contain other atoms, this means that you have to adjust sizes up the line to the top-level container (each atom will need its data size adjusted to contain the new data). Simply put, its designed to be easy to parse, but not so easy to modify without work. If it weren’t for the fact that it would just look odd, I’d just leave out the ability to write m4a tags (unless I come up with something nice and clean at some point, which is still possible). That’d be just odd, and would be kinda rude to anyone that wants to use Sonatina for that purpose.
Anyway, m4a tag editing is for another day. I’m done with this stuff for tonight.